High-stakes testing plays an important role in the careers of a wide range of professions. Certification and licensure are a requirement for many individuals to work in their chosen fields. In other cases, passing a high-stakes exams provides the means for these individuals to market their expertise to consumers — the public or the employers seeking skilled professionals.
A well-designed and executed high-stakes testing program is a critical component of a certification or licensure program. The benefits of a psychometrically sound program include:
- Brand identity that promotes the idea of protecting the public and other stakeholders
- Confidence among certificants and licensees in the high-stakes testing program’s quality and fairness.
- Recognition, and support from professional, legislative, and regulatory bodies
- An added revenue stream to the credentialing body as candidates pay fees to take the high-stakes testing or maintain their certified status.
- Belief in the value of the credential in the marketplace.
To learn more, download our white paper: What You Should Know About Creating High-Stakes Examinations.