Scantron & My Student Survey
Used together or separately, these turn-key surveys form the backbone of a robust suite of holistic measures you can use to improve your school for all stakeholders.
Scantron and My Student Survey offer an array of survey options to support your school improvement and accountability efforts. These surveys have been thoroughly tested for their reliability and ability to predict important student outcomes. For more details on the validation methods used to create the surveys, see My Student Survey’s Research page.
- Student surveys of teacher practice and school climate surveys help you:
- Meet accountability efforts under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- Provide differentiated feedback for teacher evaluations and professional development
- Parent engagement surveys help you measure the involvement of your students’ best advocates—their parents—so you can make evidence-based, responsive decisions about school improvement.
- Staff engagement surveys help you identify your schools’ strengths and areas for improvement so you can function strongly as a team to provide the best education possible.
STeP (Survey of TEacher Practice)
The STeP survey is a student-friendly survey of teacher practice that enables students in grades 3–12 to provide input on 6 key categories of their classroom experience:
- Presenter: Ability to present information and structure lessons
- Manager: Ability to manage a classroom and foster productivity
- Counselor: Awareness of student need and teacher-student relations
- Coach: Providing feedback and challenging students
- Motivator: Engaging and investing students in learning
- Content Expert: Knowledge of subject and encouraging student thinking
The STeP survey can be aggregated and disaggregated by crucial student demographics, making it an effective tool to use for accountability measures required by ESSA . Further, surveys at the classroom level can support individualized professional development plans for teachers that help drive school-level improvement (see our article on using classroom measures within ESSA). For details on this survey and sample questions:
My Student Survey’s climate survey is based on research into measuring school climate to provide a valid and reliable instrument to identify how your school implements the aspects of environment that have an impact on student outcomes. This research shows that student health, learning, and academic success are all tightly linked to a positive school climate. This survey provides results you can use to improve your school in these key areas:
- Engagement (for example, student-to-student relationships, staff cultural competence, participation)
- Safety (for example, physical and emotional safety)
- Environment (for example, physical environment, instructional expectations, discipline)
Like the STeP survey, the climate survey can be aggregated and disaggregated by student demographics, so you can use it for accountability measures required by ESSA.
Parent Engagement Survey
Parent engagement is a critical part of a student’s success. Parents are their children’s best advocates, and their involvement in their children’s education contributes to student achievement and high-performing schools. This survey measures parent engagement in the following key areas:
- Climate of respect
- Program fit
While these results cannot be directly aggregated or disaggregated by student demographics for an ESSA measure, the parent demographics can drive school improvement by identifying key areas of focus for specific communities.
Your staff is the backbone of the educational services you provide. Educators, school leadership, and support professionals contribute directly to a positive (or negative) school environment. This survey provides insights into the following key areas:
- Rigorous Instruction
- Supportive Environment
- Effective School Leadership
- Strong Family/Community Ties
The results from this survey can help you create a high-performing team that delivers the best possible educational outcome for your students.
Not sure how to get started? We provide complete consulting to get you up and running. Our experts will help you create an action plan so you get results that directly align to your district’s specific goals.
You get the best outcomes when respondents know what to expect. We’ll work with you to design a complete communication strategy to inform all relevant stakeholders of your survey plans and goals.
Our surveys are supported by extensive training opportunities to suit your needs, from in-person classes to webinars to on-demand discovery tools like user guides and recorded webinars for just-in-time delivery.
We work with you to ensure a no-hassle, smooth survey administration process. We do this by working hand in hand with you as thought partners and by providing access to a custom-developed, powerful software platform that empowers you within the administration process. We’d love to show you a demo of how we created this advanced tool to meet your survey administration needs at every step along the process.
Feedback Reports and Professional Development
Because your goal is to use the results you gain to drive school improvement, we provide timely and actionable feedback reports. Typically, validated reports are available within one week of the close of survey administration. In addition, we provide a robust suite of professional development tools to help you translate your results into action. For a complete list of available tools, see My Student Survey’s Growth page.