A course evaluation is a paper or electronic questionnaire, which requires a written or selected response answer to a series of questions in order to evaluate the instruction of a given course or the quality of a given presentation or session. The term may also refer to the completed survey form or a summary of responses to questionnaires.
Evaluations are a means to produce useful feedback which the instructor, administration, or event organizers can use to improve their quality of instruction or presentation. The process of (a) gathering information about the impact of learning and of teaching practice on student or attendee learning, (b) analyzing and interpreting this information, and (c) responding to and acting on the results, is valuable for several reasons. For example, instructors can review how others interpret their teaching methods, thereby improving their instruction.
The information can be also used by administrators, along with other input, to make summative decisions (e.g., decisions about promotion, tenure, salary increases, invitations to speak at the next event, etc.) and make formative recommendations (e.g., identify areas where a faculty member or presenter needs to improve). In an academic environment, these evaluations are typically combined with peer evaluations, supervisor evaluations, and results of student’s test scores to create an overall picture of teaching performance. Course evaluations are implemented in one of two ways, either summative or formative.
The Scantron® Solution
Class Climate® provides fast and accurate processing for paper and online questionnaires in a single system. Functions include reports on study courses, departments, training seminars and programs to fit your organization. Raw data is just a few clicks away for a more detailed analysis.
- Get valuable insight into course or seminar effectiveness with one solution that conducts surveys on paper or online, including support for mobile browsers.
- Reduce data collection costs and minimize errors by scanning evaluations, rather than typing them.
- Improve your data collection across multiple sites: Scanning can be distributed as necessary—the data is automatically sorted to the correct course and ready for review.
- Send instant feedback to individual instructors or trainers (allowing them to make changes while still involved in an ongoing course) or send end-of-course feedback to all instructors after grades are turned in.
- Export data in SPSS or Excel formats for further data analysis.
- Identify potential areas for improvement and help shape future curriculum, courses and seminars, using our automated, threshold-based course quality management features.
- Increase response rates with automatic in-progress reminders
- Provide improved accessibility—Class Climate is rated WCAG 2.0 Level AA, the highest level of certification
"The ease with which we can develop new evaluation forms and modify system processes is what has enabled us to quickly deploy [Class Climate] to our advantage."
Daveen Kay, Project Manager, California State University, Northridge
“Class Climate provides a consistent, standardized tool…for obtaining reliable and valid data for research, accreditation and program review processes.”
Dr. Sandra Murphy, Dean, School of Community and Health Studies, Centennial College
"Class Climate provides a quick and easy way for teachers to get concrete feedback for reflection and professional development plans."
Ellen Bull, Chair, Interprofessional Education and Allied Health at Centennial College
"We love [the Desire2Learn] integration because…students…are also able to see and complete the evaluation(s) right from within D2L"
Jennifer Hendryx, Instructional Designer, University of Wisconsin Colleges Online
"Having two means of communication for our students (Blackboard and email) provides more opportunities for students to participate and provide valuable feedback for the instructors."
Karla Pool, Applications Analyst, University Technology Services